Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Question on CHAT

I'm just starting to read Michael Cole's take on Activity Theory, and he talks about "Mind, Activity, and Culture" -- how does he define mind? I ask because I often see it set in opposition to the body, but after my readings on embodiment, I'd almost argue that the mind of an individual barely exists on it's own *except* as an extension, or mediating device of the body to navigate that in which it is situated: primarily the physical/chemical aspects of the body itself, its geographical/physical surroundings (place), and its socio-cultural surroundings (the bodies around it).

In a way (in my understanding so far), CHAT centers on the body without mentioning it. The body is the elephant in the room that no one talks about.

Why bring this up here? Location-based games emphasize body and place as well as activity (and mind and culture), and I'm not sure which theory addresses these elements best.

Thoughts?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home